Are you listening to this interview on a podcasting app? CLICK HERE for complete show notes and resources discussed.
Jonathan Cavier, a very experienced musician from Phoenix Arizona is on a mission to reinvent his position in the music industry. Once part of the internationally successful atmospheric pop duo, EyeTalk Jonathan is looking to use the talents formed in his past 10 year and 5 album endeavor to curate his own sound. In this episode (074), Jonathan gives great insight into his unique creative process. Here are the main take aways and resources from our discussion above:
“Pearl” Official Music Video
“January” Official Music Video
Notes about Jonathan Cavier’s general creative process:
- Likes to write his songs in the winter.
- He enjoys repurposing old recorded ideas to bring him out of writers block when he cant think of anything new at that moment.
- Lots of his songs are not “true to his life” because he enjoys making up scenarios or using real scenarios outside of his experience to use as song topics.
- He likes to create a hybrid of electronic and natural instruments when constructing his songs in the studio.
- Has built his songwriting technique around the particular combination of gear he is used to using.
Habits outside of music that help him become a better musician and songwriter:
- Spends his mornings playing tennis or engaging in some kind of physical exercise to get his mind off of everything else and to condition his body for the demands of performing.
- Tennis allows him to build up a good habit of depending on him to overcome a task or obstacle.
Jonathan’s Inspirators (past and present influences):
- Paul Stanley (Mentor)
- Cheap Trick
- Robin Zander (Mentor)
- Iva Davies of Icehouse
- Taylor Swift
- Demi Lavato
Links to Jonathan Cavier:
TAP To Music is here for YOU and thrives because of YOU!
Creating quality music is no easy task. Thats why I release these episodes every week, to make sure you don’t give up on creating music. But thats not the only way I want to help. I am just a phone call, tweet, Facebook message, email, or Skype call away from your next creative endeavor.
Here is how we can make this show great:
- Know someone who might be a great fit for the show? Please fill out our guest form to submit a talented friend to be the inspirator.
- Want a shout out on the show? Please rate and review on iTunes. Let me know you did so by taking a screenshot of your review before you submit and send it to me. In your message, you can tell me what you are working on and i’ll promote it when I give you a shout out for your review. You can also upload files for me to interact with.
Help me help you. Ive made it easy.
- Have an idea for how the show can be better? I have created a swift and organized Collaboration Cue for you to submit your feedback in a fashion that best helps me. This saves both of our time!
- Share the gift of inspiration by sharing your favorite episode with a friend.
- Have an idea for the ponder series? Submit your ideas.
- Have an answer of a ponder series episode? Submit your answers.
PHONE: *Request by email*
SKYPE ID: nicktapstomusic
Want to support the show and it’s social media efforts?
Want to be the Inspirator on TAP To Music?
Submit all music to the guest form.
I listen to everything and consider all submissions.