Project Grand Slam – “You Really Got Me” Official Music Video
For Robert Miller’s second appearance on the show, we highlighted what he and Project Grand Slam is currently working on and how the creative process has changed since he last joined us for an interview. Since December 2015, Project Grand Slam has released their new album “The Queens Carnival” and have reimagined “You Really Got Me” by the Kinks. This time, Robert has asked his own fans if they had any questions about Project Grand Slam’s creative process. Their response was very warm and as a result, I asked three questions from the bunch of submissions.
Show Notes Cheat Sheet
Take a listen to episode 043 to hear a more in depth discussion with Robert Miller about his creative process: http://www.taptomusic.com/robert/
About their cover song, “You Really Got Me”:
- During the creation of their last album “Made in New York”, Project Grand Slam chose to do another classic rock cover of “Fire” by Jimmy Hendrix and really enjoyed the process.
- Whenever playing a cover song, Robert Miller does not like to merely replicate the song.
- He likes to “reimgaine the song while maintaining the original flavor of it.”
- The first time the band tried to play the song together it did not sound right so they focused on dialing in it’s unique sound to bring out more rock influences.
- Robert Miller likes to create an “Ah Ha” moment with their cover songs.
- This dynamic makes listeners feel like they haven’t heard the song and then once they hear the lyrics, they start to recognize the song.
Working with the band:
- Project Grand Slam is very diverse and comes from locations all around the world.
- Robert Miller brings “bare bones” ideas to the group and then trusts in their creative ability to contribute their talent within the idea’s guidelines.
Project Grand Slam’s current relationship to music:
- Since the members are from so many places and are involved with many projects, not every band member can always attend every engagement.
- Whenever this happens, Robert asks the band members if they know anyone that would be qualified for a given gig.
- Keeping things “within the family” has developed a rotating cast with many influences all willing to play music in the Project Grand Slam style.
- Guada asked: What inspired you to start Project Grand Slam?
- Founded in 2007.
- Robert wanted to form a band that broke away from traditional jazz band names.
- Project Grand Slam was inspired solely by James Bond’s Goldfinger movie.
- Carly asked: What was your favorite song to create on The Queen’s Carnival?
“Every time I write a song, its almost like giving birth to a child.”
- Roberts favorite is “Lullaby For Julesy”.
- the_bacon_supreme on Instagram asked: Being that you’re Jazz Fusion, who has been your biggest non- jazz influence in your creative process?
- Jack Bruce, the bass player for Cream.
Thank you Project Grand Slam fans for submitting your questions!
Links to Project Grand Slam
TAP To Music is here for YOU and thrives because of YOU!
Creating quality music is no easy task. Thats why I release these episodes every week, to make sure you don’t give up on creating music. But thats not the only way I want to help. I am just a phone call, tweet, Facebook message, email, or Skype call away from your next creative endeavor.
Here is how we can make this show great:
- Know someone who might be a great fit for the show? Please fill out our guest form to submit a talented friend to be the inspirator.
- Want a shout out on the show? Please rate and review on iTunes. Let me know you did so by taking a screenshot of your review before you submit and send it to me. In your message, you can tell me what you are working on and i’ll promote it when I give you a shout out for your review. You can also upload files for me to interact with.
Help me help you. Ive made it easy.
- Have an idea for how the show can be better? I have created a swift and organized Collaboration Cue for you to submit your feedback in a fashion that best helps me. This saves both of our time!
- Share the gift of inspiration by sharing your favorite episode with a friend.
- Have an idea for the ponder series? Submit your ideas.
- Have an answer of a ponder series episode? Submit your answers.
PHONE: *Request by email*
SKYPE ID: nicktapstomusic
Want to support the show and it’s social media efforts?
Want to be the Inspirator on TAP To Music?
Submit all music to the guest form.
I listen to everything and consider all submissions.