“Nighttime” Official Music Video:
Witness the song that Cranky George started with just one word.
Starting with humble beginnings, Cranky George tries their best not to limit themselves with the type of music they decide to write. With all of the members being multi instrumentalists with various cultural backgrounds, Cranky George dips their toes in many genres while maintaining their signature performance dynamic. Enjoy as the fiddle player Kieran Mulroney describes his own creative process along with the band’s creative process when writing songs with interesting topics backed by unique arrangements.
Show Notes Cheat Sheet:
- Dermot Mulroney – cello, mandolin, guitar, cymbals, vocals
- Kieran Mulroney- violin, ukuleles, guitar, cowbell, vocals
- Brad Wood – bass, hat-box bass-drum,
- James Fearnley – accordion,
guitar, snare, melodica, vocals
- Sebastian Sheehan – percussion
3 Word Description:
- All Skate (everyone plays their best)
Intro Song “Nighttime”:
- The idea stemmed from the single word “she”.
- This led to the idea of how powerful it is to want to be held by and wanting to hold someone.
- Kieran likes to let one word start a domino effect of inspiration for lyrics.
- Melody helps to sustain the domino effect.
“I just followed this one.”
Relationship to Music:
- Kieran’s musical abilities originated from being one of 3 siblings that play orchestral instruments.
- He has a love for popular music but also appreciates the technicalities of classical music theory.
Cranky George’s Relationship:
- Started as Cranky George Trio with:
- Dermot Mulroney
- Kieran Mulroney
- James Fearnley
- In the trio days they would divide the drum kit amongst members which turned out to be a performance dynamic they carried into the full band.
- Dermot would play high hat on a foot pedal.
- James played the bass drum with an old fashioned hat box.
- Kieran played cow bell with his feet.
- Types of genres that the band likes to explore:
- Eastern European
- American Folk
Kieran’s Favorite Lyrics:
“The first heatbreak is like a slap in the face with broken glass.” – Kieran Mulroney
- Lyric from Tom Wait’s song called “Picture in a Frame”:
“Im gonna love you till the wheels come off.”
Cranky George’s Dynamic:
- Any idea gets a fair chance and will be tested in front of a lie audience.
- Since everyone plays multiple instruments, basic ideas can be built up quickly.
“The discovery happens on top of the song.”
Breakdown Song “Greenland’s Ice”:
- Irish themed story song about hopelessness backed by up tempo music.
- The accordion player brought the idea to the band.
“It has a punkish ethic.”
- Kieran’s favorite moment of the song is letting loose on fiddle in an irish context.
Links to Cranky George:
TAP To Music is here for YOU and thrives because of YOU!
Creating quality music is no easy task. Thats why I release these episodes every week, to make sure you don’t give up on creating music. But thats not the only way I want to help. I am just a phone call, tweet, Facebook message, email, or Skype call away from your next creative endeavor.
Here is how we can make this show great:
- Know someone who might be a great fit for the show? Please fill out our guest form to submit a talented friend to be the inspirator.
- Want a shout out on the show? Please rate and review on iTunes. Let me know you did so by taking a screenshot of your review before you submit and send it to me. In your message, you can tell me what you are working on and i’ll promote it when I give you a shout out for your review. You can also upload files for me to interact with.
Help me help you. Ive made it easy.
- Have an idea for how the show can be better? I have created a swift and organized Collaboration Cue for you to submit your feedback in a fashion that best helps me. This saves both of our time!
- Share the gift of inspiration by sharing your favorite episode with a friend.
- Have an idea for the ponder series? Submit your ideas.
- Have an answer of a ponder series episode? Submit your answers.
PHONE: *Request by email*
SKYPE ID: nicktapstomusic
Want to support the show and it’s social media efforts?
Want to be the Inspirator on TAP To Music?
Submit all music to the guest form.
I listen to everything and consider all submissions.