Are you listening to this episode, “A Path To Collaboration” on a podcasting app? CLICK HERE to view full show notes with pictures.
Collaboration can be a delicate process, there is a fine line between staying in creative flow and clashing with you collaborative buddy’s ideas. Here is a mental checklist to help make sure your collaborative sessions start off on the right path:
Assess the amount of inspiration you have.
- This will determine the amount and type of brainstorming you will need to develop your ideas for your newest song.
- Lots of inspiration = less brainstorming and more time spent sharing your vision for your song with your collaborative buddies.
- Low amounts of inspiration = more brainstorming with your collaborative buddies to gain inspiration, direction, and purpose for your song.
Brainstorming period (separate from collaborative period).
- Form a mindset of awareness through this stage.
- Realize every idea and decision made at this time forms a path of connection with the person you are brainstorming with and with the eventual result of your song.
- Be ready to ditch an idea for a better path.
- By this time you have already spent the time discussing and trying out different things to find purpose and direction for your song with your collaborative buddy through brainstorming.
- Be ready to explain your ideas in as many ways as possible. This includes verbally, sonically with an instrument, and visually.
- You are both in this together so try to be as encouraging as possible but be honest when an idea strays from the purpose of the song (it is not entirely a bad thing.) This shows that your collaborative buddy is thinking outside the box but needs to focus his or her thinking in the confines of the song’s purpose.
- This is the stage where brainstorming is still allowed but it needs to stay within the parameters of your song’s purpose to ensure progress.
This week’s question:
What has or hasn’t worked in your collaborative efforts?
Here is how to submit your answer about A Path To Collaboration:
TAP To Music is here for YOU and survives because of YOU!
Creating quality music is no easy task. Thats why I release these episodes every week, to make sure you don’t give up on creating music. But thats not the only way I want to help. I am just a phone call, tweet, Facebook message, email, or Skype call away from your next creative endeavor.
Here is how we can make this show great:
- Know someone who might be a great fit for the show? Please fill out our guest form to submit a talented friend to be the inspirator.
- Have you thought of a question for a future episode of the ponder series? Submit it here.
- What are you jamming to lately? I would love to share playlists on Spotify! Send me an email containing your Spotify information at: email@example.com and i’ll follow your account. This way I know what kind of music to try and get on the show.
- Want a shout out on the show? Please rate and review on iTunes. Let me know you did so by taking a screenshot of your review before you submit and send it to me. In your message, you can tell me what you are working on and i’ll promote it when I give you a shout out for your review. You can also upload files for me to interact with.
Help me help you. Ive made it easy.
- Are you a musician that is having trouble finding a collaborative outlet? Maybe I can help move your song from point A to point B. Click here to collaborate with host Nick Johnson.
- Have an idea for how the show can be better? I have created a swift and organized Collaboration Cue for you to submit your feedback in a fashion that best helps me. This saves both of our time!
- Share the gift of inspiration by sharing your favorite episode with a friend.
PHONE: *Request by email*
SKYPE ID: nicktapstomusic
Want to support the show and it’s social media efforts?
Want to be the Inspirator on TAP To Music?
Submit all music to the guest form.
I listen to everything and consider all submissions.